Turo car insurance is part of the Turo car sharing program, which is an alternative to traditional car rental companies. Turo is similar to Airbnb in that you own the vehicle, but can rent your vehicle for use by others for a short period of time. If you list your vehicle on the platform, you must purchase Turo car insurance, which covers your vehicle and the other driver during the rental period. Turo offers several car insurance plans that vehicle owners can purchase to protect their vehicle during a rental period.
|All policies come with $750,000 liability coverage provided by Travelers||Coverage only available to vehicles rented through the Turo platform|
|Several policy options to choose from||Because Travelers underwrites Turo insurance policies, customer satisfaction or financial strength ratings are not available specifically for Turo.|
|With each policy, rental drivers have access to 24/7 roadside assistance|
Turo offers its own automobile insurance policies underwritten by Travelers. If you list your vehicle for rent on Turo, you can choose from several insurance policies to cover the car while it is rented. Note that the vehicle host, not the driver, is responsible for covering the cost of damage to the vehicle.
Turo Hosts must always carry a personal auto insurance policy whether or not they rent their vehicle, but will also need to purchase separate coverage through Turo if they use this ridesharing platform. Most personal auto insurance policies do not extend coverage to vehicles used in the course of business, unless they offer ride-sharing coverage as an add-on. Because Turo Hosts earn money on every rental, personal auto insurance policies generally do not extend coverage for losses relating to the vehicle while it is being used as a rental.
Turo car insurance | Discount Rate Score: Not Rated
Turo Hosts can choose from five Turo car insurance plans, all of which come with $750,000 guest-provided liability coverage. Additionally, drivers have access to 24/7 roadside assistance for every trip, regardless of the policy chosen by the vehicle owner. Because Turo Car Insurance is specifically created for the Turo Car Sharing app, third-party customer service and financial strength ratings are not available.
The cost of each Turo car insurance policy is covered by a portion of the money Turo rental drivers pay to rent the Host’s car. The deductible the host pays is tied to the percentage of the cost of the trip that the host keeps as profit. The higher the percentage, the higher the deductible the host will pay.
Here are the available Turo car rental insurance plans:
- Diet 60: With Plan 60, guests earn 60% of the trip price and there is no deductible for claims. The plan fully reimburses the host for any exterior wear and tear, and it includes either lost accommodation income for the time it takes to make repairs or $50 per day reimbursement for a replacement vehicle.
- Diet 75: Guests who choose Plan 75 will receive 75% of the trip price. In this case, hosts assume a $250 physical damage deductible, but the plan does not cover exterior wear and tear. Hosts can get $30 per day for a replacement vehicle if their car is damaged and needs repairs. Plan 75 does not include any income loss coverage.
- Diet 80: Turo hosts get 80% of the trip price with Plan 80. This plan includes a $750 physical damage deductible and does not include coverage for exterior wear and tear, replacement vehicle reimbursement, or loss of income .
- Diet 85: With Plan 85, hosts keep 85% of the trip price, but have a $1,625 deductible. This plan does not cover exterior wear and tear, replacement vehicles or loss of income.
- Diet 90: Plan 90 allows hosts to keep 90% of the trip price. The deductible for this plan is $2,500 and excludes coverage for exterior wear and tear, replacement vehicles or loss of income.
Turo Car Insurance Discounts
Whether it’s for carpooling or the use of a personal vehicle, you may be wondering how to reduce your car insurance. Turo does not offer car insurance discounts to Hosts and Guests who use its ridesharing service. However, Turo Hosts can get exclusive access to Liberty Mutual’s small fleet insurance policy and save. Turo Hosts can also save on car insurance by linking their Turo and Metromile accounts. Discuss the options with a few agents if you want to learn how to take advantage of Turo-affiliated insurance providers for additional savings.
Turo Automotive Services
Turo is primarily a car-sharing program that allows customers to rent vehicles from participating vehicle owners who host through the Turo app. In addition to this car-sharing service, Turo drivers have access to 24/7 roadside assistance. Beyond this service, Turo does not offer any additional car services.
Other Turo benefits to consider
Turo offers the following benefits to its users.
- Discounts: Turo users may be eligible to receive deep discounts from companies such as Jiffy Lube and Safelite on their automotive services.
- Calculation tool: Turo’s online calculator is designed to help potential carsharing hosts see how much money they could earn per trip by listing their vehicle.
- Learning guides: Turo’s website includes articles on getting started, taking photos of your vehicle, cleaning and sanitizing, and how to perform contactless check-in.
- Analysis articles: Turo publishes articles that can help hosts keep up to date with trends in the travel and automotive industry.
- Sustainability Resources: Turo’s website lists resources on how to “drive green” and minimize your emissions on the road.
Turo Social Responsibility
Bankrate’s insurance editorial team also assessed the company’s corporate social responsibility initiatives in our insurance review Turo. In 2021, Turo announced that it would become the first car rental or car-sharing market to become carbon neutral. The company offsets its emissions through emissions reduction initiatives, including a transportation efficiency project and sustainable forestry projects. Additionally, it provides free educational resources to help drivers discover ways to be more environmentally responsible in their driving habits.
Not sure if Turo is for you? Consider these alternatives
Turo car insurance policies are used exclusively by Turo Hosts to insure the vehicles they rent to Guests. If you’re looking for traditional car insurance for your vehicle, you’ll probably want to explore options other than Turo. Depending on your state, carpool coverage may be an add-on available from one or more of these insurers (if you choose to carpool your vehicle on a platform other than Turo). The best way to find the right coverage is to research and compare several quotes from a list of car insurance companies available in your area:
- State Farm: At the 2022 Bankrate Awards, State Farm was named one of the best auto insurance companies in the United States for its near-national coverage, high claims satisfaction and low premiums. It also offers ride-sharing insurance coverage in select states. If you are looking for a provider for your personal vehicle, you may want to research State Farm’s coverage options.
- USAA: USAA tied with State Farm for Best Auto Insurance Company Overall at the 2022 Bankrate Awards thanks to its low premiums, high customer satisfaction and nationwide availability. The company was also named one of the best home insurance companies overall, which can be beneficial if you’re hoping to bundle your auto and home insurance policies. However, keep in mind that the company only writes policies for members of the US military, veterans, and eligible family members.
- Travelers: Travelers Insurance won a Bankrate Award for Best Budget Car Insurance Company. If you’re looking to save some money, Travelers may be a good option for you. In addition to low premiums, Travelers’ wide range of coverage options, near-national availability and digital tools may be right for you. The company also offers ride-sharing insurance in select states.
Discount Rate Scores
Exchange rate scores primarily reflect a weighted ranking of industry standard ratings for financial strength and customer experience, in addition to analysis of annual premiums quoted by Quadrant Information Services, covering all 50 states and Washington, D.C. DC We know it’s important for drivers to feel confident that their financial protection covers the most likely risks, is priced competitively and is provided by a financially strong company with a track record of positive customer support.
In determining how well the top auto insurance companies meet these priorities, third-party agency ratings from JD Power, AM Best, S&P, NAIC and Moody’s had the most impact on the companies’ Bankrate scores. Since price is a common consideration for drivers, we analyzed quoted premiums based on 40-year-old male and female drivers with a 2019 Toyota Camry. This profile, evaluated on over 35,000 U.S. zip codes, has provided a basis on which drivers can compare each supplier.
While coverage options, insurer availability, affordability and customer experience are often top priorities, Bankrate also analyzed each insurer’s online and mobile resources for managing policies and handling claims. Insurance is changing rapidly to keep pace with our digital world, so these aspects have also weighed in determining the exchange rate scores.