When you’re determined to keep driving and be independent for as long as you can, you need the right car insurance to cover you. There’s a little more to consider, like renewing your driver’s license and disclosing certain medical conditions, but other than that, we want to help you keep driving as usual with our car insurance for over 80 years old.
Can I take out auto insurance over 80?
If you are well enough to drive and are not affected by a medical condition that prevents you from driving safely, you can still get insurance, subject to our usual terms and conditions.
There is no maximum legal age to drive in the UK, and we do not have an upper age limit for our motor insurance policies. With 80+ car insurance, we’ll make sure you’re fully insured to drive, as long as it’s safe to do so.
Certain medical conditions will affect your eligibility to drive, and these are listed on the government website. If you are affected, you will need to notify both your insurer and the DVLA.
Failing to tell your insurance provider or the DVLA of a listed medical condition could invalidate your insurance, so you could face prosecution if you are involved in an accident while driving without insurance.
Why choose Saga auto insurance for drivers over 80?
Saga Standard, Saga Select and Saga Plus policies are designed for motor insurance for the over 80s. Our policies offer several key benefits designed to appeal especially to older drivers:
With Saga Plus fonts, you can:
- Plan your spending in advance with our 3-year plan (if nothing changes. T&Cs apply).
- Get up to £1 million in medical cover with Accident Healthcare.
- Reach any destination in the UK or multiple destinations by organized taxi if your car is too damaged in an accident in the UK to drive with Onward Taxi Travel.
- Protect yourself against lost or damaged keys with Key Protection, with up to £2,500 per claim and up to £50 for wear and tear. You won’t have to pay a deductible and your no-claims discount will not be affected.
- Stay behind the wheel with confidence, with 4 hours of Driver Confidence Coaching included with Legal Protection.
The features included in all our policies mean you won’t have to worry if:
- You need to make a claim and want to protect your hard-earned claim-free rebate – if you have four or more years of claim-free rebate, we’ll protect it against two fault claims over a three-year period (optional on Saga Standard).
- An uninsured driver hits your car, and the accident isn’t your fault – as long as you get the other car’s registration details.
- You are going overseas as we provide European cover for up to 90 days per policy year (or unlimited on Saga Select and Saga Plus) with the same level of cover you have in the UK.
- You need a replacement car after an accident in the UK while your car is being repaired by an authorized repairer.
- You are carrying valuables in your car, we cover up to £400 on Saga Standard and up to £1000 on Saga Select and Saga Plus.
Does auto insurance increase after age 80?
Your personal claims history, mileage needs, the car you drive and where you keep it will all be taken into account when looking at car insurance quotes for over 80 years.
To keep over 80 auto insurance costs affordable, you should consider the following when looking to purchase auto insurance for a driver over 80:
- Provide an accurate mileage estimate, as you may be driving fewer miles
- Consider the type of car you drive, aiming for a car that is in a lower insurance group
- Make sure your car has the right safety features
- Consider increasing your voluntary deductible if you can afford it
Remember that cheap car insurance is not always necessarily the best car insurance for the over 80s. You should always make sure you are getting the right cover for your needs and check the policy details very carefully before buying.
What does auto insurance for the over 80s cover?
The best car insurance for the over 80s covers the same as car insurance policies for any other age group and varies depending on the amount of coverage you need. Auto insurance for the over 80s comes in three different types:
Third Party – covers damage to a third party, whether to another vehicle, building or person, but not the cost of repairing or replacing your car.
Third Party, Fire and Theft – third party plus coverage for your vehicle in the event of fire or theft.
Comprehensive – covers damage to your car and all passengers, someone else’s car and its occupants, personal effects inside your car, vandalism and can give you a courtesy car if yours cannot be used due to an accident.
The minimum legal insurance you need to drive your car in the UK is third party liability, but many people find full cover offers the greatest assurance.
Saga offers three different levels of over 80 car insurance cover, Saga Plus, Saga Select and Saga Standard, each with the same great Saga service so you can choose the policy that best suits your needs and budget. .
Learn more about the best auto insurance for the over 80s for your needs.
Is there a maximum age for auto insurance?
While some providers insure drivers between fixed ages and have an upper limit of 80, Saga car insurance policies have no upper age limit.
As long as you are well enough to drive and are not affected by any medical conditions listed by the DVLA, we will continue to provide you with over 80 car insurance, subject to our normal terms and conditions. And with no upper limits in place, we can offer car insurance to drivers over 85 and beyond.
Can I insure an older car?
If it’s not just you, but your car that has high odometer readings, we can still offer over 80 car insurance quotes on older cars.
But keep in mind that one of the ways to reduce the cost of car insurance for the over 80s is to carefully choose the type of car you drive. Choosing a car included in a lower insurance group could reduce costs, depending on factors such as value, performance, safety and security.
Cars 15 years or older with a market value of over £15,000 could be considered a classic by HM Revenue and Customs, and although we do not offer a specific classic car policy with an agreed value, we do not We have no vehicle age limit and may be able to insure a classic car under the normal terms of our policy.
Will my health affect me if I get car insurance over 80?
If you are medically fit to drive, most medical conditions should not affect your auto insurance eligibility for over 80 years. We generally do not need to be told of a health problem or medical condition, until the DVLA restricts or removes your license.
Check to see if your condition will affect your driving or notify DVLA of a medical condition.
Do I have to inform the DVLA if I decide to stop driving?
There is no upper age limit that prevents you from driving, but if you are advised by a doctor, or if you decide that the time has come for you to stop driving, you will need to inform DVLA and send him your permit.
If you are worried about whether you are still fit to drive, you can talk to your GP. If you’re starting to feel less confident on the road, you might consider taking a self-confidence course that will help you assess whether it’s time for you to stop driving.
Organizations including RoSPA and IAM provide a driver assessment, not a test, to check your driving ability and make changes to the way you drive to be safer on the roads.
Customers who have legal protection with us – included as standard with our Saga Plus level of cover, or optional with other levels of cover – can access up to four hours of driver confidence coaching to help you get back on the road.
By whom are Saga car insurance policies underwritten?
Our policies are underwritten by several different insurers. We carefully select these companies and ensure that they meet the same high standards of quality and service as we do. If you purchase a policy from us, you will see the underwriter’s name in your policy documents.
Get a car insurance quote for the over 80s